Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Alcoholics Anonymous Area E Committee

Minutes of Meeting: Wednesday, 5th October 2016 @ 7:30 PM
_________________________________

Chair:             Andrew I (RtR Kirribilli Fri PM)

Present:

Andrew I           (RtR Kirribilli Fri PM – Area Chair)

Michael S          (RtR Kirribilli Fri PM – Area Group Liaison))

John B              (Seaforth – Area Delegate)

John R              (Royal North Shore Thu PM – GSR)

Garry T             (Gordon Mon PM GSR)

David P             (Chatswood Sun AM – GSR)

Pam W             (Seaforth Tue PM & Dee Why B’fast – Alternate GSR)

Leo S               (Crows Nest Wed PM GSR)

Tina S              (Mona Vale Sun PM GSR)

Caroline E       (Mon Thur Cremorne GSR)

Peter                (North Sydney Mon PM – Area Treasurer)

Anna S             (Dee Why Thu PM – Area Alternate Delegate)

 

Apologies:   

Rosemary P      (RtR North Syd Tue PM – Area Secretary)

John G             (Narrabeen Sun PM – Area Public Information Co-ordinator)

Ben                   Epping

Rowena Seaforth

Lachlan B          (Royal North Shore Thu PM – Area Webmaster)

Not Present:

BJ                    (Mosman Mon PM GSR)

Meeting Opened:                07:30pm

12 Traditions Read By:     Garry T

Previous Minutes:              Accepted

Action Items:

Action Item Description Owner Due Status
20160906.1 All Area Members to determine ideas of how to improve the way Area E and the Assemblies are run. All 20161103 In Progress
20160906.2 A brainstorming session to be held either separately or during an Area E meeting to discuss ways of improving Area E and Assemblies. Andrew I 20161103 In Progress
20160906.3 Each Area E member to organise having the Concepts Banner displayed at their meeting with the other 2 banners and also promote it at other meetings if possible. All 20161103 In Progress
20160906.4 Create a flyer for the next Area Assembly in October. Andrew I & John B 20160930 Complete
20160906.5 John B asked each Area E member with an Area position to submit a report for conference. Area E position holders 20161005 Complete
20160801.1 Court Visits: Contact CSO to determine who the court liaison and process is as there is a concern AA is not being directed to people who need help when attending court.

20161005 – Agreed that matter be left in hands of CSO member responsible for Court Visits.

·         20160906 – John G spoke to Tony C from Area Office and John G is going to setup a meeting with him.

·         20160906 – John R highlighted the CSO should be contacted first as they already have a process and may feel displeased if we don’t collaborate with them first.

John G 20160906

20161005

Complete
20160701.1 Find out the name of the course held for people caught drunk driving.

·         20160801 – Anna has made contact and waiting for a response.

Anna S 20160801

20160906

20161005

Complete
20160701.2 John R inquired about the status of the Val Morgan advertising campaign.

John G to determine the status.

20161005 – Agrees not to proceed

·         20160906 – John G has a 7 page report and will be sending it out to everyone.  Andrew I to email it to Rosemary P who will email it out to the members.

·          20160906 – All members are to review it and discuss it at the next meeting.

 

John G

& All to review report

20160801

20160906

20161005

Complete
20160504.2 Undertake an initiative to take an inventory of Area E

·         Waiting for a Conference Report due in Nov.

John B 20160831

20161202

On Hold
20160405.1 Looking at integrating articles with mail chimp to eliminate the double handling. Lachlan B 20160504

20160602

20160701

20160801

20160906

20161005

In Progress
20160405.6 Area D Sept Forum: Determine a session and panel our area can hold at the forum. Sat 24th sept. Presentation made at Forum.

·         Anna S to contact John R and then Area D to determine if presenting the Concepts at the forum will fit with their forum theme and agenda.

·          If the answer to the above question is “yes” Anna S to present some draft slides at the next Area E meeting.

Anna S 20160504

20160602

20160701

20160801

20160906

20161005

Complete
20160405.7 Create a guideline and add it to the website outlining the difference between a group and a meeting.

Discussion included:

·         Groups are organised with office bearers and structure.

·         Reference to Tradition Three (The Long Form) “… Any two or three alcoholics gathered together for sobriety may call themselves an AA group, provided that, as a group, they have no other affiliation.”

·         20160906 – Garry T highlighted that we should call it an article and not a guideline as a guideline is more official.

·         20160906 – Garry T has written the article and sent an article to John B.  John B will be reviewing it.

Garry T

&

John B

20160504

20160602

20160701

20160801

20160906

20161005

In Progress
20160405.8 Create a guideline and add to the website outlining the policy on Dogs at Meetings.

·         Call GSO (Tony) to determine if they already have guidelines.

·         20160801 – Owner changed to Gary T

·         20160906 – Garry T highlighted that we should call it an article and not a guideline as a guideline is more official.

·         20160906 – Passed onto John B and he is still to review them.

John G

Garry T

&

John B

20160504

20160602

20160701

20160801

20160906

20161005

In Progress
20160307.3 Peter to talk to GSO to determine the amount the Area has donated as it is currently not clear. Peter 20160405

20160504

20160602

20160701

20160801

20160906

20161005

In Progress
20160801.2 Aug Forum Flyer to be created. Andrew I 20160808 Completed

Chairman’s Report: Andrew I

Andrew I tabled the report highlighting:

Working on Area E assembly.

(We held the Area Assembly which was attended by 15 people.   Anna S had put together a great presentation on the 12 Concepts of which Christopher facilitated very smoothly.  Andrew I will be putting together a delegates report for Conference.  A key message he took away from the Assembly was Gratitude = Service.)

PI Report: John G

  1. No report

 

Treasurer’s Report: Peter

Peter tabled the report via email highlighting:

Account Balance as at 5th September 2016:         ($5,445.60)

No outstanding accounts.

Delegate’s Report: John B

John B tabled the report highlighting:

  1. Manly Fri – difficulty in getting access to funds. Current signatory is unhelpful in making changes. Requires letterhead with AA symbol.
  2. Eastern Region Forum attended by 60 people attended from country and Sydney areas.
    • Area G did a presentation on H&I action. Material available will be sent to John G..
    • Chris from GSO also presented on explaining on how to put a Topic for Conference together.
    • 2 Melbourne members presented a visual presentation on 12 Traditions
    • Area B did presentation on correctional facilities. Requirements for visitation was presented if interested – plenty of opportunity for service in that area.
    • Area E presentation on 12 Concepts by Peter J Dee Why Thur PM.
  3. Area E Assembly – October 15. 7 Victor St Chatswood. Will be a brief update on Area E. See flyer. Topics for Conference – everything that is being discussed around Australia. These have been circulated to the GSRs. Copies available for that. Gives groups opportunity to discuss issues. There are Topics relating to indigenous Australian members, including cultural issues. Discussion of Topics for Conference will be chaired by Anna.
  4. Concept banners – assemblies in May and August to discuss this 3rd leg of AA legacy. Recommendation that groups consider acquiring the banner. Short form of the Concepts not in the Australian Service Manual. Starting point is what each individual group wants. We have to decide what we want GSO to print for us as they own the copyright. Groups ordering have voted to use the summary of the 12 Concepts.
  5. 7/8 draft document, spoken to Tony from GSO, received response from GSO that raised a number of issues relating to consistency with the Traditions and need to work through.

Alternate Delegate’s Report: Anna S

No report

Group Liaison Report: Michael S

Michael S tabled the report highlighting:

  • There wasn’t anything additional to report.

Web Master Report: Lachlan B (Not present)

Area E Website http://areaeeraa.info

Lachlan B tabled the report via email highlighting:

  • The minutes from last meeting were uploaded to the website and emailed to all contacts.
  • Sent out an Area E meeting reminder for September.

GSR Reports:

  • David Chatswood Sunday: At group conscience, Area E assembly was well received. Not a lot of talk about the Traditions, no concept of the Concepts. No service manual. Spend a lot of time sharing experience in recovery, but not much else. Take it upon himself to share about the Traditions. People are starting to show signs of wanting to know more. Group looking forward to the Assembly.
  • John R – Royal North Sydney: The meeting has been able to return back to their rooms as they were doing some renovations. Made a donation of Big Books to Herbert St Clinic.
  • Garry T – Mon Gordon – Everyone excited about receiving Concepts banner
  • Seaforth – Rotate secretary job every 2 months. Donation of $400. Public Information position open, need to get AA info out to public. Organising a group to go through the 12 Concepts. Will be done in next year.
  • Tina Sunday – 30 members now. 1 person does everything. He is now out with an injury and is a lesson to give out jobs to other people.
  • Caroline Cremorne Monday and Thursday – Friday is starting with a focus on Big Book. Wants group to get more involved.

 General Business:

 Making things more interesting – have been sending out minutes to groups by email. One comment was that unable to print. Create a printer friendly solution. Andrew I has offered to do this.

Area E Assemblies – Do less, but higher quality to attract more people to come and get involved in Area E activities (Anna S)

  NEXT MEETING: Thursday 3rd November at 07:30

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Alcoholics Anonymous Area E Committee

Minutes of Meeting: Tuesday, 6th September 2016 @ 7:30 PM
_________________________________

Chair:             Andrew I (RtR Kirribilli Fri PM)

 

Present:

Andrew I           (RtR Kirribilli Fri PM – Area Chair)

Rosemary P      (RtR North Syd Tue PM – Area Secretary)

Michael S          (RtR Kirribilli Fri PM – Area Group Liaison))

John B              (Seaforth – Area Delegate)

John G             (Narrabeen Sun PM – Area Public Information Co-ordinator)

John R              (Royal North Shore Thu PM – GSR)

Garry T             (Gordon Mon PM GSR)

Ben                  (Epping Mon PM & Thu PM GSR)

Christopher H    (RtR Kirribilli Fri PM – GSR)

David P                        (Chatswood Sun AM – GSR)

Rowena R         (Seaforth Tue PM & Dee Why B’fast – GSR)

 

Apologies:   

Peter                (North Sydney Mon PM – Area Treasurer)

Anna S             (Dee Why Thu PM – Area Alternate Delegate)

Lachlan B          (Royal North Shore Thu PM – Area Webmaster)

Tina S               (Mona Vale – GSR)

 

Not Present:

BJ                    (Mosman Mon PM GSR)

Leo                   (Crows Nest Wed PM – GSR)

 

 

Meeting Opened:                07:30pm

12 Traditions Read By:     Michael S

Previous Minutes:              Accepted

 

Action Items:

Action Item Description Owner Due Status
20160906.1 All Area Members to determine ideas of how to improve the way Area E and the Assemblies are run. All 20161103 New
20160906.2 A brainstorming session to be held either separately or during an Area E meeting to discuss ways of improving Area E and Assemblies. Andrew I 20161103 New
20160906.3 Each Area E member to organise having the Concepts Banner displayed at their meeting with the other 2 banners and also promote it at other meetings if possible. All 20161103 New
20160906.4 Create a flyer for the next Area Assembly in October. Andrew I & John B 20160930 New
20160906.5 John B asked each Area E member with an Area position to submit a report for conference. Area E position holders 20161005 New
20160801.1 Court Visits: Contact CSO to determine who the court liaison and process is as there is a concern AA is not being directed to people who need help when attending court.

·         20190906 – John G spoke to Tony C from Area Office and John G is going to setup a meeting with him.

·         20190906 – John R highlighted the CSO should be contacted first as they already have a process and may feel displeased if we don’t collaborate with them first.

John G 20160906

20161005

In Progress
20160701.1 Find out the name of the course held for people caught drunk driving.

·         20160801 – Anna has made contact and waiting for a response.

Anna S 20160801

20160906

20161005

In Progress
20160701.2 John R inquired about the status of the Val Morgan advertising campaign.

John G to determine the status.

·         20160906 – John G has a 7 page report and will be sending it out to everyone.  Andrew I to email it to Rosemary P who will email it out to the members.

·          20160906 – All members are to review it and discuss it at the next meeting.

 

John G

& All to review report

20160801

20160906

20161005

In Progress
20160504.2 Undertake an initiative to take an inventory of Area E

·         Waiting for a Conference Report due in Nov.

John B 20160831

20161202

On Hold
20160405.1 Looking at integrating articles with mail chimp to eliminate the double handling. Lachlan B 20160504

20160602

20160701

20160801

20160906

20161005

In Progress
20160405.6 Area D Sept Forum: Determine a session and panel our area can hold at the forum. Sat 24th sept

·         Anna S to contact John R and then Area D to determine if presenting the Concepts at the forum will fit with their forum theme and agenda.

·          If the answer to the above question is “yes” Anna S to present some draft slides at the next Area E meeting.

Anna S 20160504

20160602

20160701

20160801

20160906

20161005

In Progress
20160405.7 Create a guideline and add it to the website outlining the difference between a group and a meeting.

Discussion included:

·         Groups are organised with office bearers and structure.

·         Reference to Tradition Three (The Long Form) “.. Any two or three alcoholics gathered together for sobriety may call themselves an AA group, provided that, as a group, they have no other affiliation.”

·         20160906 – Garry T highlighted that we should call it an article and not a guideline as a guideline is more official.

·         20160906 – Garry T has written the article and sent an article to John B.  John B will be reviewing it.

Garry T

&

John B

20160504

20160602

20160701

20160801

20160906

20161005

In Progress
20160405.8 Create a guideline and add to the website outlining the policy on Dogs at Meetings.

·         Call National Office(Tony) to determine if they already have guidelines.

·         20160801 – Owner changed to Gary T

·         20160906 – Garry T highlighted that we should call it an article and not a guideline as a guideline is more official.

·         20160906 – Passed onto John B and he is still to review them.

John G

Garry T

&

John B

20160504

20160602

20160701

20160801

20160906

20161005

In Progress
20160307.3 Peter to talk to GSO to determine the amount the Area has donated as it is currently not clear. Peter 20160405

20160504

20160602

20160701

20160801

20160906

20161005

In Progress
20160801.2 Aug Forum Flyer to be created. Andrew I 20160808 Completed

 

 

Chairman’s Report: Andrew I

Andrew I tabled the report highlighting:

 

We held the Area Assembly which was attended by 15 people.   Anna S had put together a great presentation on the 12 Concepts of which Christopher facilitated very smoothly.  Andrew I will be putting together a delegates report for Conference.  A key message he took away from the Assembly was Gratitude = Service.

 

PI Report: John G

John G tabled the report highlighting:

 

  1. Speaker called Karen spoke at Rotary and they thought it was wonderful.
  2. John G is also reviewing having speakers at schools.
  3. Michael S had one of his sponsee’s share at a school that morning and will pass the school to John B to possibly organise more shares.

 

Treasurer’s Report: Peter

Peter tabled the report via email highlighting:

 

Account Balance as at 5th September 2016:         $3,993.49

 

Delegate’s Report: John B

John B tabled the report highlighting:

 

  1. John B asked the members if they had any feedback regarding the Area Assembly presentation of the 12 Concepts:
    • Andrew I said his take away from the presentation was Gratitude = Service.
    • John R outlined that many meetings at the Gold Coast promote and have many members doing service because older sober members from Victoria and NSW have moved up there.
    • John R also outlined he thinks it is more effective putting flyers on chairs at meetings to promote the assembly and not rely on computer emails.
    • John G suggested we all go away and think of new ways of running Area E and Assemblies.
    • Garry T recommended that groups be promoted to also display the Concepts Banner to trigger interest.
    • Rowena asked if the Concepts Banner also comes on the calico sheets and is readable like the 12 Steps and 12 Traditions: Answer Yes
  2. The Eastern Region Forum is on the Saturday 24 September 2016.
  3. Topics for conference will soon be put on the Website.

 

 

  1. Area E Assemblies:
  2. The next Area E Assembly will be:
    1. Date: Saturday, October 15
    2. Location: Doherty Centre at Chatswood
    3. Agenda: Topics for conference will be discussed
    4. A national trustee will be in attendance.
    5. Andrew I and John B to create a flyer.

 

  1. Eastern Region Forum:
  • Date: Saturday, September 24, 9am to 5pm
  • Location: Our Lady of Fatima Hall, 389 Port Hacking Road, Caringbah.

 

 

 

Alternate Delegate Report: Anna S

John B tabled the report and the details are included in Delegates Report above.

 

Group Liaison Report: Michael S

Michael S tabled the report highlighting:

  • There wasn’t anything additional to report.

           

Web Master Report: Lachlan B (Not present)

Area E Website http://areaeeraa.info

Lachlan B tabled the report via email highlighting:

  • The minutes from last meeting were uploaded to the website and emailed to all contacts.
  • Sent out an Area E meeting reminder for September.

 

GSR Reports:

  • John R – Royal North Sydney: The meeting has been able to return back to their rooms as they were doing some renovations.
  • Rowena – Curl Curl: They change secretary every 6 months and as Curl Curl is a big meeting it is important to have greeters at the door. Seaforth: The Topics for Conference are being sent out to the members for review and they are also purchasing a Concepts Banner.
  • John G – Narrabeen: The meeting is mainly a men’s meeting but women welcome.
  • Garry T – Mon Gordon – At the next GSC Garry T will be recommending purchasing a Concepts Banner.
  • Christopher – Tue/Fri Kirribilli: It is going well. We have many members ready to sponsor.
  • Ben – Epping: As a group they continue to travel to other groups monthly and recently one group they had been too visited them as a group.
  • David – Chatswood Sun AM: Group functioning well and they attract about 30 people each week. David circulates the minutes to the 10 members.

 General Business:

 Nil were raised.

  NEXT MEETING: Wednesday 5th October at 07:30

 

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Alcoholics Anonymous Area E Committee

Minutes of Meeting: Monday, 1st August 2016 @ 7:30 PM
_________________________________

Chair:             Andrew I (RtR Kirribilli Fri PM)

 

Present:

Andrew I           (RtR Kirribilli Fri PM – Area Chair)

Rosemary P      (RtR North Syd Tue PM – Area Secretary)

Michael S          (RtR Kirribilli Fri PM – Area Group Liaison))

John R              (Royal North Shore Thu PM – GSR)

John B              (Seaforth – Area Delegate)

Garry T             (Gordon Mon PM GSR)

Rowena R         (Seaforth Tue PM & Dee Why B’fast – GSR)

John G             (Narrabeen Sun PM – Area Public Information Co-ordinator)

Jason P            (Manly Wed PM – Visitor)

Michael             (RtR North Syd Tue PM – Visitor)

Leo                   (Crows Nest Wed PM – GSR)

 

Apologies:   

Peter                (North Sydney Mon PM – Area Treasurer)

Anna S             (Dee Why Thu PM – Area Alternate Delegate)

Ben                  (Epping Mon PM & Thu PM GSR)

Lachlan B          (Royal North Shore Thu PM – Area Webmaster)

Christopher H    (RtR Kirribilli Fri PM – GSR)

 

Not Present:

David P                        (Chatswood Sun – GSR)

BJ                    (Mosman Mon PM GSR)

 

 

Meeting Opened:                07:30pm

12 Traditions Read By:     Rowena R

Previous Minutes:              Accepted

 

Action Items:

Action Item Description Owner Due Status
20160801.1 Court Visits: Contact CSO to determine who the court liaison and process is as there is a concern AA is not being directed to people who need help when attending court. John G 20160906 New
20160801.2 Aug Forum Flyer to be created. Andrew I 20160808 New
20160701.1 Find out the name of the course held for people caught drunk driving.

·         20160801 – Anna has made contact and waiting for a response.

Anna S 20160801

20160906

In Progress
20160701.2 John R inquired about the status of the Val Morgan advertising campaign.

John G to determine the status.

John G 20160801

20160906

In Progress
20160504.2 Undertake an initiative to take an inventory of Area E

·         Waiting for a Conference Report due in Nov.

John B 20160831

20161202

On Hold
20160405.1 Looking at integrating articles with mail chimp to eliminate the double handling. Lachlan B 20160504

20160602

20160701

20160801

20160906

In Progress
20160405.6 Area D Sept Forum: Determine a session and panel our area can hold at the forum. Sat 24th sept

·         Anna S to contact John R and then Area D to determine if presenting the Concepts at the forum will fit with their forum theme and agenda.

·          If the answer to the above question is “yes” Anna S to present some draft slides at the next Area E meeting.

Anna S 20160504

20160602

20160701

20160801

20160906

In Progress
20160405.7 Create a guideline and add it to the website outlining the difference between a group and a meeting.

Discussion included:

·         Groups are organised with office bearers and structure.

·         Reference to Tradition Three (The Long Form) “.. Any two or three alcoholics gathered together for sobriety may call themselves an AA group, provided that, as a group, they have no other affiliation.”

Garry T 20160504

20160602

20160701

20160801

20160906

In Progress
20160405.8 Create a guideline and add to the website outlining the policy on Dogs at Meetings.

·         Call National Office(Tony) to determine if they already have guidelines.

·         20160801 – Owner changed to Gary T

John G

Gary T

20160504

20160602

20160701

20160801

20160906

In Progress
20160307.3 Peter to talk to GSO to determine the amount the Area has donated as it is currently not clear. Peter 20160405

20160504

20160602

20160701

20160801

20160906

In Progress

 

 

Chairman’s Report: Andrew I

Andrew I tabled the report highlighting:

 

He is currently focussed on liaising with various stakeholders to organise the next forum and chase up action items that have been outstanding for some time.

 

PI Report: John G

John G tabled the report highlighting:

 

  1. John G raised a concern that when AA members attend Manly Court to offer information to those who want it, nothing seems to happen. He has attended a number of times and the magistrate does not direct anyone to AA.
  2. John R recommended checking with CSO as for the last 2 or 3 years there has been a roster of people scheduled to attend Manly Court and offer information. The CSO can put John G in contact with the court liaison who can outline the process.
  3. John G also highlighted that any AA member sent to the courts need to have documentation showing no priors so they can work with children and are not a predator.

 

Treasurer’s Report: Peter

A report was not tabled.

 


 

Delegate’s Report: John B

John B tabled the report highlighting:

 

  1. Issues from recent AA Board meeting:
  2. Class A Trustees:
    • Only one Class A Trustee and he retires at the end of the year (Class A Trustees are the non-alcoholic board members)
    • Area B has suggested two potential candidates from the faculty of medicine at the Australian National University
    • Area E committee members have followed up an inquiry from the General Service Office at Arncliffe
    • If any members in Area E have a suggestion for Class A Trustee candidates, please let an area committee member know

 

  1. Fiji Convention: The A Class Trustee will present a report to the Conference in November. International Delegates will now follow up requests.
  2. Annual Financial Report: Conference members will receive the report prior to Conference.
  3. Conference and Board Treatment Committee: Now includes Special Needs.
  4. Board: To improve its response to letters of concern from members and groups.

 

  1. Area E Assemblies

Sunday, August 28 at Curl Curl

Saturday, October 15 : (1) location to be agreed (2) Topics for Conference will be discussed

 

  1. ER Forum

Saturday, September 24, 9am to 5pm (Note: location change to Our Lady of Fatima Hall, 389 Port Hacking Road, Caringbah)

Agenda to issue shortly

 

 

Alternate Delegate Report: Anna S

John B tabled the report highlighting:

  • The presentation of the 2nd part of The Concepts for the forum is being developed.
  • Currently waiting for a response from Christopher and Sean to act as facilitators.
  • Key for the Curl Curl Hall will be collected by Rowena.
  • Andrew I recommended a flyer for the day to be created.

 

 

Group Liaison Report: Michael S

Michael S tabled the report highlighting:

  • He managed to visit a few more meetings and give out the GSR Position Overview.
  • Some meetings don’t have enough members to fill fundamental service positions let alone a GSR.
  • Leo is a newly appointed GSR for Crows Nest.

           

Web Master Report: Lachlan B (Not present)

Area E Website http://areaeeraa.info

A report was not tabled.

 

GSR Reports:

  • John R – Royal North Sydney: The building is being renovated and hence RNS is not being accommodating in providing another room and it may take several months. They all arrived last Thursday to the news that they could not go in.  It is quite distressing as the Herbert St Detox visits these meetings.  Leo highlighted their meeting is at a Church that has a number of venues and may be able to assist.
  • Rowena – Since the bus from South Pacific has been bringing newcomers the Seaforth meeting has attracted a lot of people. Dee Why/ Curl Curl – is going well with an average of 35 to 70 people. The secretary chooses the chair for the meeting however they must have 2 years of sobriety.
  • John G – Narrabeen – Well run group and approx. 35 people.
  • Leo – Crows Nest – Proposed an idea of holding a speaker forum as they have a facility that will hold 500 people. They have about 8 people at the meeting.  Parking lot opposite.  Cremorne Monday Night Steps there are 16 to 20 attendees.
  • Gary T – Mon Gordon – They held their quarterly GSC meeting and it was agreed to keep it quarterly.

 

General Business:

 

  • John B – Highlighted AA insurance does not cover having a meeting at home unless it meets policy conditions obtainable from GSO.

 

NEXT MEETING: Tuesday 6th September at 07:30

 

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Cairns2017

 

This is an invitation to attend and also a request for support with the fundraising for the 2017 Australian National Convention which is being hosted by the North Eastern Region next July in Cairns.

We have received pledges and donations from local, district and area levels so far. Some groups have foregone their donations to District/CSO etc. to make a one-time pledge or donation, other groups have organised fundraising events and donated the revenue that this produced. The Convention belongs to the whole fellowship of Australia and so we would like all groups to show their support.

With so many generous groups nationwide, even seemingly small donations quickly accumulate. Would you please pass this information through your area and district structures so that it reaches every home-group. It is a suggestion that each home-group makes a one off pledge, donation we are now exactly 12 months out.

Donate directly to:
2017 National Convention
BSB 034-241
Account 405418

Yours in fellowship

2017 Host Planning Committee

 

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Alcoholics Anonymous Area E Committee

Minutes of Meeting: Friday, 1st July 2016 @ 7:30 PM
_________________________________

Chair:             Andrew I (RtR Kirribilli Fri PM)

 

Present:

Andrew I           (RtR Kirribilli Fri PM – Area Chair)

Rosemary P      (RtR North Syd Tue PM – Area Secretary)

Peter                (North Sydney Mon PM – Area Treasurer)

Michael S          (RtR Kirribilli Fri PM – Area Group Liaison))

Anna S             (Dee Why Thu PM – Area Alternate Delegate)

Linda                (Dee Why Thu PM – Alt GSR)

Tina                  (Mona Vale Sun AM – GSR)

Ben                  (Epping Mon PM & Thu PM GSR)

John R              (Royal North Shore Thu PM – GSR)

 

Apologies:   

John B              (Seaforth – Area Delegate)

Lachlan B          (Royal North Shore Thu PM – Area Webmaster)

Garry T             (Gordon Mon PM GSR)

Christopher H    (RtR Kirribilli Fri PM – GSR)

Rowena R         (Seaforth Tue PM & Dee Why B’fast – GSR)

 

Not Present:

David P                        (Chatswood Sun – GSR)

BJ                    (Mosman Mon PM GSR)

John G             (have asked for home group details – Area Public Information Co-ordinator)

 

 

Meeting Opened:                07:30pm

12 Traditions Read By:     John R

Previous Minutes:              Accepted

 

Action Items:

Action Item Description Owner Due Status
20160701.1 Find out the name of the course held for people caught drunk driving. Anna S 20160801 In Progress
20160701.2 John R inquired about the status of the Val Morgan advertising campaign.  An action is to be added asking John B and John G the status. John B

John G

20160801 In Progress
20160504.2 Undertake an initiative to take an inventory of Area E John B 20160831 In Progress
20160405.1 Looking at integrating articles with mail chimp to eliminate the double handling. Lachlan B 20160504

20160602

20160701

20160801

In Progress
20160405.6 Area D Sept Forum: Determine a session and panel our area can hold at the forum.

·         Anna S to contact John R and then Area D to determine if presenting the Concepts at the forum will fit with their forum theme and agenda.

·          If the answer to the above question is “yes” Anna S to present some draft slides at the next Area E meeting.

Anna S 20160504

20160602

20160701

20160801

In Progress
20160405.7 Create a guideline and add it to the website outlining the difference between a group and a meeting.

Discussion included:

·         Groups are organised with office bearers and structure.

·         Reference to Tradition Three (The Long Form) “.. Any two or three alcoholics gathered together for sobriety may call themselves an AA group, provided that, as a group, they have no other affiliation.”

Garry T 20160504

20160602

20160701

20160801

In Progress
20160405.8 Create a guideline and add to the website outlining the policy on Dogs at Meetings John G 20160504

20160602

20160701

20160801

In Progress
20160307.3 Peter to talk to GSO to determine the amount the Area has donated as it is currently not clear. Peter 20160405

20160504

20160602

20160701

20160801

In Progress
20160307.4 Andrew, Rowena, John G to review the GSR flyer with the view of possibly making it more appealing.  Currently there is thought that the flyer is great but does have a few too many words hence turning people off reading it.

 

20160701 – It was decided to close this action item as there hasn’t been any progress on it so it was decided to continue to use the original flyer.

Andrew I, Rowena R,

John R

20160405

20160504

20160602

20160701

Closed
20160405.5 Topics for Conference – Guidance material of how to compose and submit a topic to be put on the website Andrew I 20160504

20160602

20160701

Completed

 

 

Chairman’s Report: Andrew I

Andrew is currently focussed on liaising with various stakeholders to organise the next forum.

 

PI Report: John G (Not present)

A report was not tabled.

  • Anna S outlined:
    • She has become aware of a rehabilitation course for drivers who are caught drunk. The course is held at Drivers Correctional Facilities and highlighted it is another place to put pamphlets.  Anna is to come back with exact name of the course.

 

Treasurer’s Report: Peter

Peter tabled the report highlighting:

  • From the 7th Tradition donations from groups in the area, the area portion is approximately $2,000 bringing the total balance of Area E’s funds to $5056.73.
  • Peter attends Tafe on Tue and Wed 24 weeks of the year hence it makes it difficult for him to attend all the Area Meetings.

 

Delegate’s Report: John B (Not Present)

Anna S tabled the report for John B.

  • 2 Topics for Conference endorsed by Area E have been submitted to Conference and also posted on the Area E Website for review.
  • Investigation continues on determining the format required for AA electronic material (ads, brochures) to be displayed on monitors at medical centers, dentists, police stations etc This matter continues to be followed up, including with the Epping GSR and members. Once the inquiries are completed, the information obtained will be tabled for consideration of any action by Area E.
  • Proposed Area E Assemblies for the remainder of the year are:
    • Sunday 28 August at Curl Curl – Proposal including option to attend Curl Curl Group meeting Noon to 1 pm Lunch 1 pm to 3 pm Presentation on the Twelve Concepts and discussion 3 pm to 3.15 pm Tea/Coffee and interaction with members of Curl Curl Group attending BBQ and meeting 4 pm to 5 pm Meeting – As Bill Sees It (book discussion with Guest Speaker)
    • Saturday 15 October to discuss Topics for Conference, location to be determined.
  • The AA National Convention 2017 – 7-10 July, 2017 in Cairns. A link to the website and registration (Early Bird) has been added to the Area E Website.

 

 

Alternate Delegate Report: Anna S

Following on from the recently held Area E Assembly where the 1st part of the Concepts Interactive Session was presented, the 2nd part is tentatively being planned for the August Assembly.

  1. Talked to Howard Wood and Karen Turner and John H and Tony from National Office, overall encouraged to present the concepts at the assembly. In the first one we just went through 1 Concept.
  2. Hall will cost $36 ($12 per hour).

 

Group Liaison Report: Michael S

Michael has put together a list of all the meetings in Area E with the nominated GSR  so we can clearly see which meetings are represented at Area E.

Service Position going well and highlighted he only has 6 months left of his tenure.

                                   

Web Master Report: Lachlan B (Not present)

Area E Website http://areaeeraa.info

Rosemary tabled the report sent to her by Lachlan.

  • Posted up June Minutes and National Convention notices on the website
  • Emailed out Minutes, National Convention and meeting reminder via Mailchimp.
  • Plans for next month
    • Follow up with members on usage of email addresses. Doesn’t seem like anyone is using them.
    • Train Rosemary in the use of posting articles to the website and using maillchimp to send out emails.

 

GSR Reports:

  • John R – Royal North Sydney: All is well. Traditionally John R has been running BB sessions and the next 18 week session is starting this Tuesday, 5th at Cremorne at 07:30pm.  They work through the steps and you are given homework to do.
  • Tina – Mona Vale: Tina just resigned as secretary and they now have a new one. The secretary has several positions being tea person, greeter, and treasurer.  Numbers are up and down so there is thought of moving premises.  Approx 20 attend with 15 members.
  • Linda – Dee Why: The meeting recently increased to 8 members.  At the GSC they would make a donation to the CSO.  They announced they are extending the meeting after the meeting to 1 hour.
  • Ben – Epping a very active group. Supporting other groups that need support.  Once a month they take 10 members to another group.  They are celebrating their 40th Birthday this Monday.  They run a GSC monthly.

 

General Business:

 

  • John R – John inquired about the status of the Val Morgan advertising campaign. An action is to be added asking John B and John G the status.

 

NEXT MEETING: Monday 1st August at 07:30

 

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

As discussed and demonstrated by Matt S at the recent Area E Forum, the first topic has been submitted by Area E for the 2016 Conference. The General Service Process Map is a visual aid designed to make the  task of communicating our service structure in Australia much easier.

You can read a copy of the topic submission here

A pdf version of the Process Map can be downloaded here. (It is suggested that all members print this out and take it to your next group conscience. )

A power point version of the Process Map can be downloaded here.

And a small video showing the Process Map in action can be downloaded here.

And here you can see Matt’s wonderful map in all its glory.

 

AA_Australia_GSC_Annual_Process_Map_v1.0-optimized

 

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Alcoholics Anonymous Area E Committee

Minutes of Meeting: Thursday, 2nd June 2016 @ 7:30 PM
_________________________________

Chair:             John B (Seaforth Tue PM)

 

Present:

Michael S          (RtR Kirribilli Fri PM – GL)

Anna                 (Dee Why Thu PM)

Rosemary         (RtR North Syd Tue PM – Area Secretary)

Garry T             (Gordon Mon PM GSR)

David P                        (Chatswood Sun – GSR)

Rowena R         (Seaforth Tue PM & Dee Why B’fast – GSR)

 

Apologies:   

 

Not Present:

Andrew I           (RtR Kirribilli Fri PM)

Allan H              (Galston Fri & Sun PM)

Ben                  (Epping Mon PM & Thu PM GSR)

BJ                    (Mosman Mon PM GSR)

John R              (Narrabeen Thu AM – GSR)

Lachlan B          (Royal North Shore Thu PM – Area Webmaster)

John G             (have asked for home group details – PI)

Christopher       (RtR Kirribilli Fri PM – GSR)

Peter                (North Sydney Mon PM – Area Treasurer)

 

 

Meeting Opened:                07:30pm

12 Traditions Read By:     Rowena R

Previous Minutes:              Accepted

 

Action Items:

Action Item Description Owner Due Status
20160504.2 Undertake an initiative to take an inventory of Area E John B 20160831 In Progress
20160405.1 Looking at integrating articles with mail chimp to eliminate the double handling. Lachlan B 20160504

20160602

20160701

In Progress
20160405.5 Topics for Conference – Guidance material of how to compose and submit a topic to be put on the website Andrew I 20160504

20160602

20160701

In Progress
20160405.6 Area D Sept Forum: Determine a session and panel our area can hold at the forum.

·         Anna S to contact John R and then Area D to determine if presenting the Concepts at the forum will fit with their forum theme and agenda.

·          If the answer to the above question is “yes” Anna S to present some draft slides at the next Area E meeting.

Anna S 20160504

20160602

20160701

In Progress
20160405.7 Create a guideline and add it to the website outlining the difference between a group and a meeting.

Discussion included:

·         Groups are organised with office bearers and structure.

·         Reference to Tradition Three (The Long Form) “.. Any two or three alcoholics gathered together for sobriety may call themselves an AA group, provided that, as a group, they have no other affiliation.”

 

Garry T 20160504

20160602

20160701

In Progress
20160405.8 Create a guideline and add to the website outlining the policy on Dogs at Meetings John G 20160504

20160602

20160701

In Progress
20160307.3 Peter to talk to GSO to determine the amount the Area has donated as it is currently not clear. Peter 20160405

20160504

20160602

In Progress
20160307.4 Andrew, Rowena, John G to review the GSR flyer with the view of possibly making it more appealing.  Currently there is thought that the flyer is great but does have a few too many words hence turning people off reading it Andrew I, Rowena R,

John R

20160405

20160504

20160602

20160701

In Progress
20160504.1 Area Assembly flyer to be added to the website and sent to Area members. Lachlan B 20160528 Completed
20160504.3 Propose people who are part of committees to use their full name:

·         Motion: Not Carried

·         Suggest it is up to the individual’s discretion.

·         Discussion included:

o   Use of surnames would assist in improving communications

o   Tradition Eleven

o   Importance of anonymity

o   Suggestions in Big Book to use initials of surnames

o   Use AA names by which members are referred to”

Garry 20160602 Completed
20160405.9 Organise an assembly for 28th May to discuss topics for conference.  Michael and Rosemary volunteered to assist with catering. Anna, John, Andrew 20160504

20160528

Completed

 

 

Chairman’s Report: Andrew I (Not present)

A report was not tabled.

 

PI Report: John G (Not present)

A report was not tabled.

  • Enquiry received by NSCSO for H & I speakers at schools to be forwarded to John G
  • Anna S outlined:
    • 42 pamphlets had been taken from Centrelink.
    • 3 ‘Message to Teenagers’ pamphlets were taken from the library.
    • 3 ‘Message to Teenagers’ pamphlets were taken from the police station.

 

Treasurer’s Report: Peter (Not present)

A report was not tabled.

 

Delegate’s Report: John B

John B outlined there were no additional activities to report.

 

Alternate Delegate Report: Anna S

Following on from the recently held Area E Assembly where the 1st part of the Concepts Interactive Session was presented, the 2nd part is tentatively being planned for the August Assembly.

 

Group Liaison Report: Michael S

Michael S outlined there were no additional activities to report.

                                   

Web Master Report: Lachlan B (Not present)

A report was not tabled.

 

GSR Reports:

  • Garry T – Gordon Monday nights:
    • 20160602 – Next Monday they have their quarterly Group Conscience at which he will propose monthly Group Consciences.
    • 20160405 – Gordon Monday nights is well attended and run well with approx. 15.
  • Anna S – Dee Why Thursday 7pm:
    • 20160602 – Attendance at the meeting is approximately 30 people.
  • David P – Chatswood Sunday:
    • 20160602 – Good attendance with lots of newcomers.
  • Rowena – Seaforth
    • 20160602 – Having the South Pacific bus has been fantastic. Due to this they are receiving a lot of visitors.

 

  • Rowena – Dee Why / Curl Curl Breakfast
    • Dee Why Breakfast group – they have a new service position of an additional greeter so when people arrive they can be greeted and their name taken down.
    • Dee Why Breakfast meetings are well attended every day except Sunday. Rowena is chairing the GC’s for the next 6 months. They have a GC on the 3rd week of each month and have introduced some templates and processes to create more structure.

General Business:

 

  • John B – Wanted to thank everyone who attended and helped at the Area E Assembly. Thought it was a very informative, encouraged participation and was enjoyable.
  • David P – Is concerned about the lack of understanding of the Traditions throughout AA. Does anyone have any ideas as to how to introduce the Traditions in a more inviting way?

 

NEXT MEETING: Friday 1st July at 07:30