AREA E Annual General Meeting (AGM) 2016.


Meeting held Saturday 6th February 2016 at 2:30pm.


Ku-ring-gai Community Groups Meeting Room, Corner of Mona Vale and Rosedale Road.

Chairman:             Steven C
Present:               John R, Ben B, Mary H, Sandra W, John B, Anna S, Peter J, Mike N, Martin G, Andrew I, Christopher H, Michael S, Peter G, Tony C.
Apologies:           Rowena (Seaforth),                   
Twelve Traditions:           Read by Rosemary (Fri Road to Recovery)

Previous AGM 2015 minutes:

Accepted: John R,
Seconded: Michael S.     – Carried.

Chairman’s Report:

Our monthly Area E meetings have been enthusiastically attended by a core of about 6 to 12 people.
We have held Area assemblies in June and September. A personal highlight for me was the presentation by the General Service Board of Australia which was very well received by those in attendance, although it has to be said the turnout was disappointing. We printed flyers that were handed out at meetings, informing local members of these upcoming events. The information was also available in The Link Letter.
The Committee has created the position of Group Liaison Officer, whose role it is to attend local AA Meetings, to inform members that it would be in their best interests to have a Group Service Representative Represent them at the monthly Area E meetings, to keep members informed of what is happening in their local area. Also a laminated information page has been produced regarding the position of GSR, and how through their Area Delegate, local group members are able to have a voice at a National level.  We have ongoing contact with local chemists promoting the AA 24 Hour telephone service. There is also a leaflet distribution initiative for local area noticeboards. Our finances are relatively healthy with approximately $6000 in the kitty. Our primary purpose is to carry the message to the still suffering Alcoholic and as a committee that is what we have tried to do.
I am grateful to everyone associated with Area E who have given their time and effort over the past 12 months. Though our efforts in trying to carry the message, may at times seem less than fruitful we cannot allow these seeming setbacks to deter us from being there for the still suffering Alcoholic as we trudge the road to happy destiny, Guided by The Sunlight of the Spirit.

In Service, Steven C.

Delegates Report: Lachlan B

I just wanted to say to everyone thank you for your support over the last 8 years of my service in Area E as secretary, alternate delegate and then delegate. It was truly an honour to be able to serve the members of Area E and an amazing journey where I got to meet many spiritually driven recovered AA’s dedicated to service. To save on space I will not attach the conference resolutions to the minutes. If people are interested in the resolutions and action items from the 2015 AA Australia conference they are available at the AA service website –

Alternate Delegates Report: John B

No report

Public Information Report: John B

Distribution of AA literature to Pharmacists
The distribution of AA literature to Pharmacists continued during the 2015 year. After the initial distribution mail out, follow up contact was made with a sample of the pharmacies. The response results varied; some positive and requesting more literature, others advising that they did not receive the material or due to shortage of space had not displayed it.
The results achieved were discussed at the Area E committee meeting and it was agreed to seek the assistance of GSRs and their home groups to participate in the ongoing distribution of literature to Pharmacists. Presently, GSRs from Chatswood, Cremorne, Dee Why, Epping, Gordon and Ryde are assisting with this project. Currently feedback is being sought from the Pharmacists, one request received is for the delivery of AA material in an electronic format.
Group initiative – Distribution of AA literature to Centrelink
An initiative of a group is the distribution of literature to the Centrelink office at Brookvale, NSW, with follow up visits on a 4 weekly basis. Details of the literature provided and usage is set out in the table below provided by the GSR.

AA Advertising in local cinemas
A suggestion supported by the Area E committee is an evaluation of screening AA advertisements in local cinemas. Recently the General Service Office provided access to the ads available and quotes have been obtained from Val Morgan Advertising. Whilst this information has been circulated, it will be a matter for the incoming committee to consider.

Other activities
Other Area E activities have included distribution of material to local council and community notice boards, hosting a stand at the Willoughby Council Outreach Day, inviting members of the fellowship to assist Area G host a stand at the 2015 Doctors Conference, committing to host a stand at the 2016 Lantern Night Festival at Cherrybrook on 22 October 2016 and following up interested contacts.
A project being undertaken at present in conjunction with the NSCSO office manager is to identify, within Area E, where and how the AA message can be availed of by the public and how to keep this information up to date. Information in relation to councils in Area E has been researched and opportunities will be identified within the community that Area E, the NSCSO, groups and members may be attracted to engage in service.
I thank the Area E committee, GSRs and members for their support. My thanks also to the NSCSO committee together with the office volunteers for supporting the Area E PI activities, providing literature and posters, preparing packs for the Pharmacy project and doing the mail outs.
Yours in service,
John B

Treasurer Report: Peter G

Income & Expenditure Statement for the Period

7th February 2015 to 6th February 2016

Opening Balance as of 07/02/2015 $6,842.98
Add Income
Contributions from Groups $3,463.00
Less Expenses
Conference Levies $2,620.00
2015 (2nd, 3rd & 4th) $1,950.00
Venue Hire (Tramshed) $283.50
AGM 2015 $194.65
Area Assembly $124.15
Printing $422.50
Donations – General Service Office $1,000.00
Account Balance as at 6th February 2016 $5,661.18


Secretary Report: Jessica B

No Report.

Group Liaison Report: Michael S

A pamphlet was produced to help educate group on the role of the GSR and the service structure. The pamphlet also has the preamble on the reverse side and it has now been laminated so it can be placed in at group meeting were noticeable. I have been distributing it at a few meeting with a positive response.
Also the Area e committee have agreed to each one to take at least 10 laminated pamphlets to meeting nearer to the residence as to insure that all off the meetings in Area E will get one.

Kind regards
Michael S

Committee Position Elections:

Service Position                               Outgoing Officer                              Incoming Officer
Chairman                                              Steve C                                    Andrew I
Delegate                                               Lachlan B                                 John B
Alt Delegate                                          John B                                      Anna S
Secretary                                             Jessica B                                   Vacant
Public Information                                 John B                                      Vacant

General Business
John R asked Tony C to give an update on Fiji.
Over 100 registrations. (Approaching breakeven point). Some registrations trickling in. Al-anon will be participating. Registrations on the website.
John R – Reinforce Fundraising for Fiji. Read AA Around Australia.

The meeting finished at 3:30pm with the Serenity Prayer.

Alcoholics Anonymous

Area E Committee

Minutes of a Meeting
Held: Friday, 4th December 2015 @ 7:30 PM
Chairman:            Steve C – Kirribilli Friday – 7:30pm

Present:                Peter G – North Sydney Monday 7.30pm
Michael- Road to Recovery
Steve- Road to Recovery
Rowena – Seaforth Tuesday 700pm
Anna – Dee Why Thursday 7.00pm
Mike- Road to Recovery
John- Seaforth Tuesday 7pm
John R – Narrabeen Thursday AM
Ben – Epping Monday 8.00pm
Gary- Gordon Monday night
Drew- Road to Recovery

Lachlan B, Sam, Mary H

Meeting opened at 7:30 PM

12 Traditions of AA were read by Michael

Previous Minutes
Motion that the minutes of the previous meeting be accepted:
Moved:  Steve
Seconded:  Peter

PI Report – John B
Ben has 5 packages for chemists and three have been handed out to local pharmacy’s. One Pharmacy is very interested to work with AA and would like AA literature to be emailed in order to display on a computer screen. Will check with national PI person about PDF’s for AA. Also the AA pamphlets for teenagers have been very popular. AA can have an advertisement in the cinema (in Area E) through Val Morgan for a very good price, the AA advertisement is already made so all that is needed is too look into the price, John will report on this at the next meeting.  AA having a stall at the Frances greenway Park Cherrybrook lantern night on the 22nd of October 2016 (Manganese and Cantonese speaking AA’s would be needed). AA posters are displayed on the Northern Sydney noticeboards for mid December for the next 6 weeks.

Chairman’s Report – Steve C
Fundraiser for the AA Fiji convention, booked the North Curl Curl community centre for Saturday 5th of March. Spoken to an AA member who has offered to DJ and provide music, laser machine and smoke machine. Would like to get the fundraiser organized by the end of year so we would have a full two months to advertise. Also would like to organize a raffle, some prizes have already been donated. Hopefully we will get a discount on room hire at Curl Curl, which will be booked from 2pm to midnight. Considering having a theme for the night, possibly beach a dress up. Drew will handle the flyer for the fundraiser.

Treasurer’s Report – Peter

CSO is up to date with contributions back in line with how contributions where around last year. Paid Steve for Narrabeen tram shed hire.
Accounts tabled showing activity to 4th December. Account balance is $6,263.18
There are no outstanding accounts.

Delegate’s Report – Lachlan B
No report.

Alternative Delegate’s Report – John B
No report

Group Liaison’s Report – Michael
Has made up a brochure to advertise the role of a GSR which can be taken around to AA meetings, would like to distribute them around to meetings in Area E. We can also distribute electronically, Jess will send out via Mailchimp.

Group GSR Reports
Gary- Gordon well run meetings with a wide range of sobriety, run along traditional lines, has a greeter ect. Meeting has a group conscience every three months.
Rowena- Seaforth Tuesday night, last group conscience had 4 members, south pacific has started bringing a bus load of newcomers there, trying to get support form older sober members to support the newcomers, over $1900 in the bank and will donate $600 to St Ives. Vote to change time from 7pm to 8pm but was not passed.
The Saturday morning Curl Curl meeting (previously Dee Why meeting), is very strong getting around 50-60 people on the Saturday and 30 during the week, has a group conscience last Friday of every month, donating $1500 to Fiji convention. Group voted to give away big books to newcomers. Group has a greeter, will have small gifts on Christmas.
Drew- road to recovery, meeting going well 10th of December steering group meeting to discuss service position rotations, membership on Friday is down but steady. Tuesday lots of people but not too many group members. Good contributions.
Anna- Thursday 7pm Dee Why 22 people on average coming, with 4 members. The group has been putting AA pamphlets in the Centerlink office in Dee Why, AA for teenagers is very popular, the others not so much Group conscience next week, and service positions rotating.

General Business
Peter – Crows Nest requires a new secretary, Gary with 26 years sober has agreed to take on the position.
John- would like to have the response from AA brochures monitored for level of success.
Money for Fiji- Peter moves to donate $1000 to Fiji convention, Jess seconded. Decided to re discuss at
next Area E meeting.
General discussion on the fundraiser and ticketing situation. Price of admission, to be decided once the budget of the fundraiser has been worked out.
Will try to get out the flyer for the Fiji fundraiser as soon as possible and also try and organize online ticket sales for the event.
The meeting finished at 8:54PM with the Serenity Prayer.

Next Meeting
Monday 4th January at St Ives – 7.30pm